Sunday 15 July 2012

Zen Times With Celer

Name: Celer
Date: July 13, 2012
City: Tokyo, Japan


1. What inspired you to choose the name Celer? It was a little random and almost accidental, looking through some old French letters of childhood stories from family. Though, the name later really fit with the whole project, music hiding in itself. It stuck, and was simple.


2. When you're creating a piece, what message or feeling are you intending to deliver to your audience? Usually I'm not thinking anything intentionally when making something. I make things in a really directionless way, sortof like writing a diary without really thinking too much about what I'm writing, just copying down anything that comes into my head that happened that day, or what memories and images flash by. It isn't purely improvisation either, just more patient, and exact. I think maybe messages come out more when the album or piece is coming together in full form, with the artwork, the titles, and so on. It's difficult to send a message very clearly through largely instrumental music, aside from directional samples (though those too are largely misdirecting). Putting the titles together to have a feeling and imagination beyond dreamy description gives it more than just a title, it feels like.

 
3. I see you've created a large number of albums. How long have you been composing for? Maybe since the early 2000's, though for those first years I never recorded anything, or only played live shows, which was also more harsh noise-oriented. Though it is a large number, it isn't something I expect listeners to hear everything of. If they miss something, I hope they'll be able to get another one. If one person has heard one of my (or our) records and enjoyed it, that is special for me. Those who push farther than that I appreciate so much, and at the same time can't believe it.


4. Out of everything you've created thus far, which was your favorite to work on, and why? It's difficult to say, because as you make something and listen to it more and more, then it gets released and you see it more, your opinion changes for things. It's another reason I make so much, is to hear something different than everything else. I always try to make something more interesting to listen to, some more pure type of music, but maybe it's difficult to be content with just one thing. I guess that Tightrope is a particular favorite, just because it was made at a really special turning point for me. There's a lot of personal things connected to that one. Then again, there are to everything, so I'm not sure. Some things like Recumbent in Wishes I'm very proud of, but at the same time the memories are so difficult, that I'd never be able to say it's my favorite. I guess there's a difference..


5. What is the strangest method of producing a sound/tone you've ever encountered? It wasn't making a tone, but I chased a pelican around with a microphone to get his quack while making the follow-up to the Spekk album Mesoscaphe. That was pretty strange, I'd say.


6. Who are some of your favorite artists? Angelo Badalamenti, Asuna, John Barry, Auburn Lull, Slowdive, Basil Poledouris, Bowery Electric, Christoph Heemann, Clinic, The Durutti Column, Ennio Morricone, The Field,
George Gershwin, Mazzy Star, John Carpenter, Terre Thaemlitz, Lalo Schifrin, Nico, Ryuichi Sakamoto, Scott Joplin, Spectrum, Spiritualized, Steve Reich, Steve Roden, William Basinski, Tangerine Dream, Underworld, Vangelis.


7. What kind of audience are you hoping to reach? Comfort and inspiration for those familiar with experimental music, and open ideas and individuality to those not familiar.


8. What parts do you find the most difficult about creating and releasing a new album? Finding the right label, and the releasing process.


9. What is your favorite thing to do with your day off? Go to the park; cook with someone at home.


10. What is the first thing you think of when you hear/see the word "Delicious"? Mango.

 
Eevee asks: "If you could haz any wish what would it be?" I feel lucky to be where I am today, I don't need to ask for more.


11. What is your next project you're working on, and when is it scheduled for release? I'm finishing up and album called 'Crazed Fruit' tonight, it will be released later this year, maybe in November. It's 79 minutes long. Otherwise, a lot of others have been finished lately, so I can rest for a while.

If you'd like to hear some of Celer's work, or find out more information, check out the links below! :3

1 comment: